Australian schools on alert as ACCC recalls toy over serious choking hazard
Australian parents have been urged to check their children’s toys for a recalled product which was sold at schools and online retailers across the country.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued an urgent recall for the LED flashing starfish necklace by Everything Glows over fears they pose a choking hazard to young children.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Australia’s top five most shocking recalls.
For more Recalls related news and videos check out Recalls >>
The regulatory watchdog warned the battery compartment is not adequately secured on the faulty necklaces, meaning young children could easily access the three button batteries inside.
“If young children gain access to button batteries and ingest them, they are likely to suffer severe internal burn injuries, which can result in serious injury or death,” the ACCC said.
Button batteries also pose a choking hazard to youngsters, it warned.
The potentially dangerous products were sold at several primary schools, public schools and colleges nationally and at Epic Skate Tweed Heads from August 19 to September 27.
Anyone who purchased the toy is urged to immediately stop using it and keep it away from children.
“Everything Glows sincerely apologises for having supplied you with this faulty product and the inconvenience caused,” the company said in an alert.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .