Volkswagen Amarok: Final first-gen Walkinshaw special hits the road
Volkswagen and Walkinshaw’s fettled first-generation Amarok ute has officially reached the end of the road.
The 2600th example of the W-Series Amarok this week rolled off the production line in Clayton, Victoria, ahead of the next-generation Amarok’s arrival Down Under early in 2023.
The final car was a W580SE, of which 99 were produced.
In total, Volkswagen and Walkinshaw produced 1419 examples of the W580S, 458 of the W580, 599 of the W580X, 99 of the W580SE, and 25 pilot and development cars.
Although they haven’t confirmed the partnership will live on into a new generation, Volkswagen and Walkinshaw have signalled their interest in doing a version of the second-generation Amarok.
“This relationship has been hugely successful,” Volkswagen Commercial Australia director Ryan Davies has previously told CarExpert.
“[Walkinshaw is] a great partner to deal with, there’s a lot of mutual respect, and I think we can definitely make something the market wants with the new generation,” he said.
The first Walkinshaw-tuned Amarok didn’t appear until 2021, a decade into the outgoing car’s life cycle.
But Mr Davies said this time, Walkinshaw-fettled models could appear within in the first few years.
“These things take time, we definitely wouldn’t be looking at 2023, probably late 2024 would be the earliest we could consider having something like that in market,” he said.
As for the outgoing model? Priced from $86,990 before on-roads, the final W580SE features a 75W LED light bar, a spray-in tub liner, and Nappa leather seats with Walkinshaw headrest branding.
That’s atop the following equipment, which is standard on the W580S:
- Walkinshaw tuned suspension (incl. front lift)
- 20 x 9-inch ‘Clayton’ alloy wheels
- Pirelli scorpion 275/50 R20 tyres
- Moulded sports bar painted in body colour
- Unique decals – bonnet & sides
- Wheel arch extensions
- Tuned twin exhaust system
- Walkinshaw grille
- Interior W580 branding including plaque with build number
- LED fog lights
- Unique front grille
- Unique lower bumper inserts and fog light surrounds
- Walkinshaw-branded headrests
- W580 carpet mats
- Bonnet protector
- W580 decal pack
- Branded exhaust tips
- Bonnet decals
- LED fog lights with cornering function
- Sail plane with styling bar
- Front underbody styling element
- Five-piece protective tub liner
- Vienne leather interior trim
- 14-way power-adjustable ErgoComfort front seats
- Front seat heating
- Satellite navigation
- Electric folding side mirrors
- Colour driver’s multifunction display (MFD)
MORE: Everything Volkswagen Amarok